N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) is an organic compound consisting of a 5-membered lactam. It is a colorless liquid, although impure samples can appear yellow. It is miscible with water and with most common organic solvents. It also belongs to the class of dipolar aprotic solvents such as dimethylformamide and dimethyl sulfoxide. It is used in the petrochemical and plastics industries as a solvent, exploiting its nonvolatility and ability to dissolve diverse materials
1. NMP has been used in the electronics industry for many years as a photo resist stripper. Now, with the phase out of CFC’s, NMP has gained widespread acceptance as a solvent in other electronic applications including semi-aqueous defluxing, degreasing, and coatings
2. The agricultural chemical industry takes advantage of NMP’s solvency and handling properties in agricultural formulations
3. NMP is used as a solvent in pharmaceutical synthetic procedure because of its broad solvency. One potential use for NMP is as a dermal penetration enhancer for pharmaceuticals
4. Due to its high solvency and low volatility, it is used in automotive and industrial cleaners with solvents such as hydrocarbons, terpenes, Arconate® propylene carbonate and P-Series glycol ethers.
5. For instance, high solid binders are more easily obtained with NMP as the solvent. Quite often, baked finishes yield coatings with outstanding
6. NMP has been shown to be highly effective in wire coating and other high temperature coating applications
7. NMP has been shown to have a selective affinity for unsaturated hydrocarbons, aromatics and sulfur-bearing gases. Due to its relative non-reactivity and high solvency, NMP finds wide applicability as an extraction solvent in lube oil processing as well as in natural and synthetic gas purification's