Isophorone is an α,β-unsaturated cyclic ketone. It is a colorless liquid with a characteristic peppermint-like odor, although commercial samples can appear yellowish. Used as a solvent and as a precursor to polymers, it is produced on a large scale industrially.
1. In the construction industry, Isophorone is used as corrosion protection on bridges, scaffolding or sluices
2. Isophorone is added to automobile paint and it improves the properties of fuel and oil filters as a special coating for paper
3. Isophorone is used as an intermediate in manufacturing mainly polyurethane field compounds such as Isophorone Diamine, Isophorone Di isocyanate. It is also used as a chemical intermediate and as an ingredient in wood preservatives and floor sealants
4. Isophorone is used as a solvent in some printing inks, paints, varnishes, lacquers, adhesives, copolymers, PVC, coatings, finishing and pesticides. It is a preferred solvent for many natural and synthetic polymers, resins, fats, and oils
5. It is also used in formulating Pesticides, Herbicides as an inert ingredient. It is used in vinyl chloride/acetate-based coating systems for metal cans, other metal paints, nitrocellulose finishes, and printing inks for plastics