Ethylenediamine (abbreviated as en when a ligand) is an organic compound. This colorless liquid with an ammonia-like odor is a strongly basic amine. It is a widely used building block in chemical synthesis, with approximately 500,000 tonnes produced in 1998.
1. As a solvent, it is miscible with polar solvents and is used to solubilize proteins such as albumins and casein. It is also used in certain electroplating baths
2. As a corrosion inhibitor in paints and coolants
3. ethylenediamine dihydroiodide (eddi) is added to animal feeds as a source of iodide
4. Chemicals for color photography developing, binders, adhesives, fabric softeners, curing agents for epoxys, and dyes
5. Ethylenediamine (edamine) is a common organic additive to the plant in vitro culture murashige and skoog medium