Diethyl malonate, also known as DEM, is the diethyl ester of malonic acid. It occurs naturally in grapes and strawberries as a colourless liquid with an apple-like odour, and is used in perfumes. It is also used to synthesize other compounds such as barbiturates, artificial flavourings, vitamin B1, and vitamin B6.
1. DEA is used as a surfactant and a corrosion inhibitor
2. It is used to remove hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide from natural gas
3. In oil refineries, a DEA in water solution is commonly used to remove hydrogen sulfide from various process gases
4. It has an advantage over a similar amine ethanolamine in that a higher concentration may be used for the same corrosion potential. This allows refiners to scrub hydrogen sulfide at a lower circulating amine rate with less overall energy usage
5. DEA is a versatile chemical intermediate, principal derivatives include ethyleneimine and ethylenediamine
6. Dehydration of DEA with sulfuric acid gives morpholine