Dimethylformamide is an organic compound with the formula (CH3)2NC(O)H. Commonly abbreviated as DMF (although this initialism is sometimes used for dimethylfuran, or dimethyl fumarate), this colourless liquid is miscible with water and the majority of organic liquids. DMF is a common solvent for chemical reactions.
1. The primary use of dimethylformamide is as a solvent with low evaporation rate
2. Dimethylformamide is used in the production of acrylic fibers and plastics
3. It is also used as a solvent in peptide coupling for pharmaceuticals, in the development and production of pesticides, and in the manufacture of adhesives, synthetic leathers, fibers, films, and surface coatings
4. It is used as a reagent in the Bouveault aldehyde synthesis and in the Vilsmeier-Haack reaction, another useful method of forming aldehydes. DMF penetrates most plastics and makes them swell. This property makes it very suitable for solid phase peptide synthesis. It also frequently occurs as a component of paint strippers for this purpose
5. DMF is very effective at separating and suspending carbon nanotubes, and is recommended by the NIST for use in near infrared spectroscopy of such
6. DMF is used as a solvent to recover olefins such as 1,3-butadiene via extractive distillation.It is also used in the manufacturing of solvent dyes as an important raw material
7. It is consumed during reaction.Pure acetylene gas cannot be compressed and stored without the danger of explosion. Industrial acetylene gas is therefore dissolved in dimethylformamide and stored in metal cylinders or bottles. The casing is also filled with agamassan, which renders it safe to transport and use