Dimethyl carbonate (DMC) is an organic compound with the formula OC(OCH3)2. It is a colourless, flammable liquid. It is classified as a carbonate ester. This compound has found use as a methylating agent and more recently as a solvent that is exempt from the restrictions placed on most volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the US. Dimethyl carbonate is often considered to be a green reagent.
1. Dimethyl Carbonate is a solvent of both extraction and reaction used in many industries; pharmaceuticals; agrochemicals; hydrocarbon refinery; paint and coatings and fragrances
2. It is used as a methylation and carbonylation agent in organic synthesis
3. It can be used as fuel and lube additive
4. Synthesis of polycarbonates (PC); Production of methyl isocyanate and some carbamate pesticides; Replacement of highly-toxic phosgene and dimethyl sulfate as carbonylating agent and methylating agent in the production of many chemical products; Replacement of methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) as new fuel oil additive
5. Extensive use as an organic solvent with medium boiling point in the electrochemical and coating sectors