Diacetone alcohol is a chemical compound with the formula CH3C(O)CH2C(OH)(CH3)2, sometimes called DAA. This liquid is a common synthetic intermediate used for the preparation of other compounds, and is also used as a solvent.
1. It is used in lacquer thinners, dopes, wood stains, wood preservatives and printing pastes
2. In coating compositions for paper and textiles
3. Making artificial silk and leather; in imitation gold leaf
4. In celluloid cements; as a preservative for animal tissue
5. In metal cleaning compounds; in the manufacture of photographic film
6. In hydraulic brake fluids, where it is usually mixed with an equal volume of castor oil